Messy Valentine Cards

Thursday, February 14, 2013

Hi Friends! I know I said I had made my last Valentine card, but I have two quick ones that I hadn't intended to put on my blog until I saw the Simon Says Stamp and Show challenge to Make Something Messy. I saw some really cute cards on someone's blog, I think, and she used Dylusions Ink Sprays to create beautiful little cards. I used that idea here. (If you are the person I'm CASing, let me know so I can give you credit, 'k?) These card were fun and fairly quick to make, but they were crazy messy. I love Dylusions Ink Sprays...they are beautiful, and I walk around with stained hands for days and feel like a real artist. ;)
Both these cards are for my daughter to give to two of her friends--a brother and sister. This first one is obviously for the brother. To make it, I first spritzed a square of white cardstock with water, then used several colors of Dylusions Ink Sprays to color it. I dried it with my heat gun, but didn't blot it dry at all, and it left it looking a bit grungy--perfect for a boy. I then used a cotton swab to apply bleach to a big lace heart stamp (I sure hope it didn't ruin it, I love that stamp), then I stamped it over the dried Dylusions. I walked away to wash my stamp and was gone maybe a minute or two. When I returned, all the detail of the stamp was gone and I was left with a large white space where the bleach completely ate away the ink. So, I spritzed a turquoise color spray over the white spot, dried it again, then stamped the heart stamp again over that using white pigment ink. The "You Rock" sentiment was wet embossed with black embossing powder. I wrapped twine a couple of times around the square, sponged the edges of the card base front and the edges of the colored square with blue Distress Ink, then adhered the square to the base. Inside it simply says Happy Valentine's Day. The Blue paper under the card is actually the envelope I made for it.

To make this stamp for the sister, I went through the same process, except I did blot the ink off the cardstock before drying it with my heat gun. That gave it a softer look. Then I stamped butterflies in white pigment ink, and little hearts in red ink. I sponged pink ink along the edges, wrapped the twine, and adhered the square to the card. The card is sitting on top of the envelope I made for it.

And, that's all there was to it...easy peasy. Now I just need to check up on how to use bleach safely in the craft room.

Hope you are having a wonderful Valentine's Day! Thanks for stopping by!!!

I'll be entering these cards in the following challenge:
Simon Says Stamp and Show Challenge: Something Messy

~Hugs,

 
Stamps: Blue Skies, Sweet Treats (Verve); Valentine Sayings (Hero Arts); Lace Heart (Inkadinkadoo)
Paper: White card stock for cards; Colorbok for envelopes
Ink: Dylusions Ink Sprays; Distress Ink
Accessories: Embossing powders--pink and black; twine (The Twinery) bleach; Corner Chompers
Size: 4" square
Thanks for visiting my blog!
To have Ink Up delivered to your inbox,
subscribe in the box at the top right of the page.

2 comments :

Craft Addicts - Tracy Evans said...

Beautiful cards, love the sprayed backgrounds. Lovely design. I am like you when I use Dylusions, stained fingers for days lol. Thank you for getting messy and joining in the Simon Says Stamp and Show Challenge. Tracy x

Theresa said...

Hi Cheryl,

These are gorgeous! These crazy messy cards are amazing and so worth it. You are just so talented. I love the heart in the first card.

Happy Valentine's Day Friend.